Eight MPS officers injured after pursuing robbery suspects into illegal house party

Eight officers from the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) were injured after they stumbled across an illegal house party while pursuing suspects in a street robbery.

Mar 3, 2021
By Tony Thompson

One officer was knocked unconscious and another sustained a suspected fractured hand after the 30 party-goers became hostile and began throwing drinks and other items as attempts where made to close down the event.

The incident began in the early morning of Sunday, February 28, when officers were responding to a report of a robbery on Portland Street, southeast London, in which the victim had been assaulted by two males and had his phone taken.

While responding to this incident, the officers were directed to an address on Hopwood Road, where the suspects had been seen to run after the robbery, and uncovered a house party inside.

Officers entered the address at about 5.30am, intending to find the suspects for the robbery; instead they identified a group of 30 people partying who quickly became hostile.

The decision was made for the officers to withdraw from the premises for their own safety and other units were called to the address. This allowed officers to manage attendees leaving the party one at the time. In total, 30 people were reported for fines of £800.

Officers remained at the location and continued to make inquiries. A 17-year-old male was identified by the robbery victim as he left the address as the person who took his mobile phone. He was arrested on suspicion of robbery.

The victim’s stolen phone was found when officers searched a 19-year-old man. He was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods. A 19-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and assaulting a police officer.

A 17-year-old female was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and handling stolen goods after she was found to be carrying a number of different debit cards and an Oyster card in her belongings, all with different names on them.

All four suspects were taken into custody at a South London police station. They were later bailed to return on date in late March.

Chief Inspector Richard Blears, from the Central South Command Unit, which covers Southwark, said: “Restrictions are still in place to protect lives; every person who attended this illegal gathering has acted selfishly and irresponsibly and has potentially put others at risk.

“Not only that, but some have even gone as far as physically harming the officers who attended the scene, which is totally unacceptable. We will continue to enforce breaches of Covid-19 restrictions when they are alerted to us.”

Related News

Select Vacancies

Chief of Police

Gibraltar Defence Police

Assistant Chief Constables

Scottish Police Authority

Constables on Promotion to Sergeant

Greater Manchester Police

Copyright © 2024 Police Professional