Officer acquitted of causing death by dangerous driving

A jury has unanimously found a police constable not guilty of causing death by dangerous driving during a pursuit that led to the deaths of two people.

Dec 8, 2022
By Paul Jacques

PC Edward Welch, attached to the Metropolitan Police Service’s (MPS) South Command Unit, was acquitted of the two offences as well as dangerous driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving on Wednesday (December 7) following a trial at the Old Bailey.

The MPS said a review will now take place to consider misconduct proceedings for PC Welch as well as a former officer who was also involved in the pursuit.

They were following a stolen car and the man who was driving that car and hit the pedestrians is now serving a prison term.

South Area commander Chief Superintendent David Stringer said: “The deaths of Rozanne Cooper and her ten-year-old nephew Makayah McDermott have naturally left their families devastated.

“Our thoughts remain with them and we offer everyone affected by this terrible incident our sincere condolences.

“Police pursuits must be carried out in very careful and controlled circumstances in line with policy to ensure they do not put anyone at risk. The jury has found PC Welch did not commit a criminal offence but misconduct matters will now be carefully considered.”

PC Welch was charged following an investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) into the police pursuit that took place in August 2016 in Penge.

“On August 31, 2016, PC Welch was driving a marked police car and began an authorised pursuit of a stolen Ford Focus being driven by Joshua Dobby,” said the MPS.

“The pursuit came to an end in Lennard Road, Penge, when Dobby’s vehicle hit three members of the same family, killing Rozanne, 34, and Makayah, and badly injuring Makayah’s sister, aged 13.

“Dobby got out of the car and made off with PC Welch and his colleague giving chase on foot. They arrested Dobby in a nearby garden.”

Following a police investigation Dobby, then 23, pleaded guilty to manslaughter at the Old Bailey in March 2017 and was jailed for 12 years. He had earlier admitted causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

The IOPC began an investigation that concluded PC Welch may have committed a criminal offence due to the standard of his driving. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)determined the threshold for bringing charges was not met. Following two reviews, the CPS authorised charges against PC Welch in May 2021.

No charges were brought against his colleague, who has since resigned. He was a passenger in the car and in contact with the police control room during the pursuit.

The MPS said PC Welch is currently on restricted duties.

Related News

Select Vacancies

Copyright © 2025 Police Professional