IOPC begins investigation into fatal police shooting

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has confirmed it has begun an investigation into the fatal shooting of a man by Thames Valley Police (TVP) at Milton Keynes railway station on Tuesday afternoon (April 1).

Apr 2, 2025
By Paul Jacques
Picture: Thames Valley Police

Officers from TVP and British Transport Police had been called to reports of a man carrying a firearm at the station at 12.55pm.

TVP armed officers responded and challenged a white man who was carrying a knife outside the station.

“He moved at speed towards officers with the knife before a shot was fired by police,” the force said.

“Life-saving actions were immediately taken at the scene, but the man was sadly pronounced dead at 1.44pm.

“We have not yet informed the man’s next of kin so he has not been formally identified.”

The IOPC said it was notified by TVP shortly after the incident and investigators were sent to the station and the police post-incident procedure to begin gathering information.

It added: “Our thoughts are with the family of the man who died and all those who have been affected by this incident.

“Our role in these circumstances is to independently investigate all of the circumstances surrounding this incident including the actions and decisions taken by the police.

“We declared an independent investigation shortly before 2.30pm and, as it is in its very early stages, no further information is available at this time.”

Milton Keynes commander, Chief Superintendent Emma Baillie, said: “We understand that this incident may cause concern locally, but we would like to reassure the community that there is no wider risk to the public.”

“We have made a mandatory referral to the IOPC, and they will be carrying out an independent investigation into this incident. We would ask people not to share footage or speculate about other details online.”

Thames Valley police and crime commissioner Matthew Barber said it was “right that the IOPC reviews this incident”.

In a statement on Wednesday (April 2), he said: Matthew Barber said: “Early yesterday afternoon Thames Valley Police received a report of a man carrying a gun at Milton Keynes railway station. When challenged, the man moved at speed towards officers with a knife and was shot by the police.

“Despite attempts by police officers to provide life-saving first aid the man was pronounced dead at the scene. Whilst this is of course a shocking incident there is no ongoing risk to the public.

“Of course it is right that the IOPC review this incident, but from what I understand at this early stage I am confident that the officers should be praised for their actions to protect members of the public.

“As a society we ask the police to put themselves in harm’s way every single day on our behalf, most of those officers are unarmed. The small number of armed officers often face even greater risks and carry a still greater responsibility. Whilst it is right that yesterday’s incident is independently reviewed, it is important that we also recognise exactly what we are asking of our armed police officers.

“It is tragic that a man died in yesterday’s incident, but I am thankful to the police officers who responded bravely and acted decisively in order to protect the public. If they had not done so the outcome could have been much worse.”

Related News

Select Vacancies

Copyright © 2025 Police Professional